Sometimes I just get one song stuck in my life. It’s like being stuck in my head, but not quite. Instead, I have this inexplicable need to listen to the song over and over and over again. Every word, every note just sounds so perfect, just what I need to hear. Some aspect of it grabs me and holds me there, until I’ve listened to it enough and open my doors to the rest of the musical world again.
I love these songs. I mean, I love music in general, but I especially love these, because when I hear them again afterwards, I snap back to where I was when the obsession took hold of me, if only for an instant. I think my favorite favorite is “Every Teardrop is a Waterfall” by Coldplay. I couldn’t stop listening to it on the plane over to Europe this summer. I’ve always loved the line “Maybe I’m in the gap between the two trapezes” but I felt like it was especially applicable there, because quite literally, I was hurtling through the air from my safe zone to the complete unknown, hoping I’d grab hold of it and swing into life at full force again. Even now, seven months later, I flash back to the dark plane and feel the bubbling excitement within me every time that song comes on.
This week it’s been a country song: “God Gave Me You” by Blake Shelton. Everything about it is just so wonderful. I wish I could aptly express the emotions it stirs within me, but… I can’t. It makes me so happy. I feel the gratefulness I have for Davis in my life when I listen to it. Because really, God gave me him for the ups and downs, for the days of doubt, for everything the song says. I’m so appreciative to him for looking out for me and supporting me during life’s small rough patches. The song inspires me and reminds me that he’s there and he loves me. I feel like my description didn’t do the song or my emotions justice, but… I tried. *sigh*
Tonight it shifted a little bit to “Love This Pain” by Lady Antebellum. I’m having a tough time explaining why – I don’t think it’s relationship-based, because I’m quite happy with mine – but the song just sounds so good. Anywho…
Other songs I’ve had this happen to (and their links):
- “A Message” by Coldplay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOZUKppndaE) – an especially good memory 🙂
- “All We Are” by Matt Nathanson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ZWxbm_9s4)
- “All Over You” by The Spill Canvas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNhI9pJhByc)
- “Marchin’ On” by OneRepublic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viq87FiOSxE)
I know there’s more, but I can’t think of them now. And the ones I mentioned today:
- “Every Teardrop is a Waterfall” by Coldplay (the music video’s pretty cool too – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMhvkC3A84&ob=av3e)
- “God Gave Me You” by Blake Shelton (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlwysjDZ4c8)
- “Love This Pain” by Lady Antebellum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-UENN7N1rQ)
Isn’t music awesome? 🙂